This recipe will make 6 cupcakes. It’s perfect for a kid to put together, and also ideal if you’re doing something like cupcake wars!
For cupcake wars, use this basic chocolate recipe and enhance it to meet your challenge and defeat your opponent.
Chocolate Cupcakes: Small BatchCourse: DessertDifficulty: Easy
4 Tbsp unsalted butter (1/2 stick) room temperature
1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp sugar
1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp unbleached all purpose flour
1 large egg, room temperature
1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt (I always use vanilla salt)
1/4 cup dutch process unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup whole milk, room temperature
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line 6 muffin tins with liners or spray with baking spray
- Beat the butter with an electric mixer until it is soft, then add sugar. Beat for about 3 minutes.
- Add the egg, beating until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients and whisk them together.
- Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the butter and sugar and beat just until combined. Add 1/2 of the milk + vanilla, scrape down the bowl and beat to combine. Continue adding the dry and wet ingredients alternately, making sure to END WITH THE DRY ingredients.
- Fill muffin tins 2/3’s (this is about 1/4 cup for standard muffin tin) of the way.
- After placing the cupcakes in the oven, reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F and bake for about 20-22 minutes. Allow to cool completely before frosting.